Gifted & Talented Program
EXTEND (Exciting Times Exploring New Directions)
- WHAT: A pull-out program for gifted/talented students in grades 3-8.
- NOMINATIONS: Made in Spring each year by teacher or parent.
- EVALUATION CRITERIA: Test of creativity, Teacher Rating Scale, Parent Rating Scale, Achievement Test, Intelligence Screening Test.
- TESTING TIME FRAME: Last two weeks in Spring and the first two weeks in the Fall.
- TRANSFER STUDENTS: May be nominated during the school year.
- PURPOSE OF THE PROGRAM: To develop higher levels of creative, cognitive, and effective thinking.
Abilities to be developed:
- To be able to engage in successful and active learning
- To be able to generate many, varied, and unusual ideas
- To be able to use multiple problem solving skills to seek a variety of solutions
- To be able to evaluate thought processes to determine best idea/outcome
- To be able to predict/hypothesize on possible outcomes i.e. cause and effect situations
- To be able to plan, develop, and present ideas
- To be able to communicate effectively through a variety of mediums
- To develop life skills through abstract thinking process
- To develop effective learning and thinking